Tech Team Twitter Feed

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Reducing my electronic footprint

Looking for ways to reduce your electronic footprint?  I was.  My desk was a cluttered mess on multiple laptops, four large monitors, four power strips and more cords than you could count.  But I needed it all.  Mac for iOS development (xCode, iBooks Author, etc...) Windows for Lectora, MobiOne, Articulate Storyline, MS SQL and as a test platform.

I finally installed Parallels Virtual Machine with Windows 7 on it.  I then loaded Lectora, Articualte Storyline and Studio, Microsoft SQL Studio 2012, and MobiOne onto the Windows 7 instance.  I installed my Adobe CS6 suite of software onto the Mac as well as MySQL.  I am able to VPN into the home office with both Mac and Windows and share files between the two OS instances.  Very cool. 

Now, I can see my desk again. I removed one laptop, two external monitors, an armful of plugins and cords, several power strips, one extra headset and was finally able to move my printer to the other side of the room since it can now be fully wireless (the Windows laptop had to be USB connected to it).  I have room to spread out a bit and I have not reduced my capabilities to create awesome e- or m-Learning at all.  In face, I think its better because I can share files and test across plaforms with greater efficiency.

No comments:

Post a Comment