Tech Team Twitter Feed

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Articulate Storyline: OK - I'm on the bandwagon too!


Articulate Storyline stormed onto the online learning development scene last summer.  I’m not one to believe based on massive hype on social media surrounding a product rollout.  In fact, I tried real hard to not even want to use it based on my previous experience with Articulate Presenter.  I’m a programmer but have a degree in Secondary Education – mathematics.  I feel there is a definite difference between programming and being an instructional designer.  In my opinion, programs like Articulate and Adobe Presenter are really made for an instructional designer with great PowerPoint skills.

Nonetheless, I purchased several licenses last summer – one for an ISD and one for me.  The ISD never had time to try it out and I only gave it a cursory review.  Because I did not really have a project in mind so my evaluation was less than stellar.  In fact, I didn’t even really do much until the content and requirements for a project screamed Storyline.  I relented programmed the prototype lesson and was ecstatic with the results. Bandwagon, here I come.

I use a variety of tools to program online and mobile learning – Lectora, Rapid Intake, Captivate, SmartBuilder, and Dreamweaver using jQuery mobile. I try to use reusable Flash interactions whenever I can.  I believe in incorporating Unity based games and movies as required by the content.   Avatars are a great way to imbue personalization without getting too personal and the right amount of narration greatly aids the instructional value for individuals.

After creating my lesson, I saw that Storyline is really a great merge of the tools mentioned above.  It allows an ISD to create and yet gives programmers great ability to “pull back the covers” so to speak and enhance or improve the quality of instruction.

The interface is a familiar one to many.  It looks like Presenter and Captivate mixed together.  It add in the triggers and actions you would see in Lectora, and it’s output, while still Presenter-esque, has a SmartBuilder feel to it – clean, brisk and edgy.  There is something for any level of programming experience. 

For those who are not programmers but want to make things happen, triggers offer a fantastic method to create numerous types of interactions. Programmers have also been taken care of.  You can write your own JavaScript and the core JavaScript methods supporting Storyline are available.  You can access those methods using the “Execute JavaScript” triggers. Variable are also accessible using player.SetVar() and player.GetVar().  There is a great article in the support center discussing this. http://www.articulate.com/support/kb_article.php?product=st1&id=llwes8cn32vg
“That Learning Company” has compiled a nice listing of things you can do with JavaScript. Check it out at:  http://thatelearningcompany.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/usingjavascriptinarticulatestoryline/

I’m not a graphics designer.  I count on others to do that for me.  So having Avatar characters available in the quantity and quality Storyline provides is important to me.  If you are like me, I’m sure you will agree.  Add in the multiple expressions, poses, and direction facing available for each character and you have a winning set of avatars for any interaction – all at no additional charge.  Then Storyline throws in the different states for each character.  Combine the different states with triggers or timeline events and you can make you avatar change expressions or poses.  Once again – all with no programming needed.  Want to crop an avatar character so you only need the shoulder and head – no problem.  This is real power for those who are neither graphically inclined nor able to program Flash for their interactions. 

I said earlier that the content for my project screamed Storyline.  It did – loud enough for me to try it out again.  I will now make Storyline an active part of my programming toolkit. Not that is will be the only tool I use, but it will definitely be a tool that can be used.

1 comment:

  1. :very informative post. I will use the suggestions discussing here for optimizing my new blog site.This post will be very helpful for the begaineer SEO worker who are new in this field.
    Keep posting this type of helpful post.
    With best wishes.Articulate Storyline 3.1.12115.0

    ReplyDelete