Tech Team Twitter Feed

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

What I 'Got' from eLearning DevCon 2012


It goes without saying (...or, um, typing...?) that there was much to learn from this year's eLearning DevCon 2012 (http://elearningdevcon.com/), or "ELDC2012", held in the very beautiful Salt Lake City, Utah, June 6-8th, 2012. Greg Gardner, Damian Liska, Stephanie Spinapolice, and myself - all from ICF International - had the distinct honor of participating in ELDC2012 in several ways, such as:
Stephanie Spinapolice at the ICF booth
  • Presenting on highly technical topics
  • Giving bring your own laptop ("BYOL" sessions)
  • Having an exhibitor booth...
  • ...As well as being a sponsor the conference itself
However, beyond this, there are some very important 'take-aways' from ELDC2012, which I shall list here in no particular order or fashion:
Michael Sheyahshe giving presentation
  • SLC is beautiful
    • Having never been to Utah for any reason, it was nice to see such breathtaking views.
  • People are excited to both learn about and utilize technology
    • Directly after my talk on Augmented Reality ("AR"), one audience member used the information from my talk to create AR for her friend's band. While she was amazed at how easy it was, saying it took her 50 seconds, from start to finish. It is one of the best compliments, as a presenter to have someone actively use information I've given, almost directly in front of my eyes.
  • ELDC2012 participants are highly diverse, ranging from Designers, Developers, Programmers, and anything in-between
    • During my sessions and presentations, I noticed how diverse the audience members, participants, and other presenters were. As I answered questions and had ensuing conversations afterwards, I found that ELDC2012 participants came armed with questions and interest levels all across the board. They certainly kept me on my toes.
  • Social networking is alive and well
    • Not only were there many continuous Tweets on ELDC2012, I also made several friends at the conference, using social networks.  Power to the people !  :)
  • Thoughts on thinking
  •  Neuroscientist, Dr. Art Kohn
    • Dr. Art Kohn's Keynote on "Know the Mind. Know the Learner" was insightful and entertaining. The 'tricks' he played on the audience's minds - such as making the majority of the audience think that he had list the word that he had not listed - reminded me of a recent article in Wired on the way our minds, specifically memory, works. Wired's The Forgetting Pill Erases Painful Memories Forever, outlines how "our memories are not inert packets of data and they don’t remain constant", based on brain chemistry and neighboring receptors within our grey matter. Dr. Kohn's talk on the difference between encoding information the brain and retrieval of knowledge supported this notion...at least in my brain.
  • Apparently, there are several celebrity sightings in SLC
    • One of the several friends I made - from both presenting and via social networks (i.e., Twitter) - encountered not one, but two celebrities during ELDC2012. The first, Jay Mohr, was in our hotel at the university for some odd reason; next my Twitter friend spotted Katherine Heigl at the airport. Lucky...
In all, ELDC2012 was a wonderful experience and I'm proud to have been a part of it and look forward to seeing what eLearning DevCon has to offer in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. Great post - got the HTML 5 bug from you too - currently working on a parallax scrolling website and got the go ahead to keep pursuing augmented reality applications . Hope to meet up again! - @mgenta http://slidesha.re/M10i3X

    ReplyDelete